Background Check Fees
Costs associated with name-based Texas Criminal History checks and fingerprint-based National Criminal History checks are as follows:
- Daycare and Residential Child Care operations regulated by CCL pay $2 for every person that they submit for a name-based Texas Criminal History check. DFPS collects this fee – $1 goes to Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) per name submitted and $1 goes to the General Revenue Fund. (Certain Residential facilities, foster care settings, and Listed Family Home operations may be exempt from background check fees).
- Name-based Texas Criminal History checks for DFPS employees, DFPS volunteers, Purchased Client Services contract providers, and external volunteers cost DFPS $1 per name submitted to DPS.
- Fingerprint-based National Criminal History checks vary in cost depending on the role of the individual being fingerprinted.
- The cost for a fingerprint-based check for a paid employee of an organization is $38.50.
- Foster and adoptive parent applicants, kinship caregivers, household members, and any other individuals not receiving financial compensation for the role in which the background check is requested pay a reduced rate of $37.25.
- The overall fingerprinting fee is a collection of several fees:
- DPS charges $15 to conduct a fingerprint-based check. (The FBI will not conduct a fingerprint-based check until the requesting state conducts one).
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) charges $12.00 to conduct a fingerprint-based check ($10.75 for foster and adoptive parent applicants and volunteers).
- The fingerprint vendor charges a processing fee of $11.50. This is a fee set in the contract between DPS and the fingerprint vendor.
- In Daycare and Residential Child Care operations regulated by CCL, the childcare operator, director, or employee who is the subject of the background check will generally pay for this fee. Some childcare operations may pay the fee for their employees and/or foster and adoptive parents.
- CPS Foster and Adoptive parents and their household members generally pay their own fingerprinting fees as well. There are times when funding is available to assist with these fees.
- DFPS covers the cost of fingerprinting fees when a National Criminal History check is required for CPS emergency parental child safety placements, CPS non-emergency kinship, and Interstate Compact for Placement of Children (ICPC) placements.
- Applicants for employment with DFPS, and Purchased Client Services contractors required to complete a National Criminal History check pay $11.50. DFPS covers the remainder of the fingerprinting fees. DFPS applicants who are hired can request reimbursement for the fee.
Please see the Fingerprinting FAQ for more information.