Become a Day Care Home Provider
The process to obtain a permit is designed to ensure the protection of children through a cooperative relationship between the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services and the potential applicant.
If you are interested in starting a Day Care Home operation here is what you need to do to get started. Each step consists of a few small tasks, so please read the instructions thoroughly to ensure that you don't miss any important pieces.
Step 1 - View the Online Pre-Application Course & Print Your Certificate
- Get Informed. You may want to become familiar with required materials and helpful resources before viewing the online pre-application course. These resources are designed to provide you with information to help you understand the licensing process and other key elements of becoming a child care provider. Don't worry - you don't have to read or absorb all of this information now, but we wanted you to know where to find it when you're ready. Helpful Materials & Resources for Applicants
- View the online Pre-Application Course. This presentation will introduce you to the options that you have for providing in-home child care and the process for becoming a child care provider.
- Print and save your certificate. Once you have watched the presentation, print and save the certificate. If you decide to apply to operate a Licensed or Registered Child Care Home, you will need to provide a copy of the certificate to Child Care Licensing later on in the application process.
NOTE: If you prefer to attend a live pre-application course instead of viewing the online presentation, you will first need to submit your application form and fees. Once you have done so, you may contact your local Child Care Licensing office to obtain dates for pre-application classes scheduled in your area. If you take the online Pre-Application Course you do not need to register for a classroom orientation after submitting your application.
Step 2 - Submit an Online Application (& Fees)
Congratulations! You have decided to apply to become a home-based child care provider. Once you have determined the type of day care home you wish to apply for, you are ready to begin the application process. Here are your next steps. Note, if you already have a permit/operation number, click here instead.
- Create your Online Account: Once you have an online account with CCL, you will be able to submit an online application for your day care home operation. On the page where you create your account (the Create a Child Care Licensing Account page), select "No," for the question "Do you have a permit number?", and complete the online account registration form. Once you have successfully submitted your registration request, you will receive an email containing a link that you must click on in order to complete account activation.
- If you do not receive the confirmation email (subject line "Complete Registration") within 24-hours, please check your spam folders. If you still have not received the email, attempt to register again and watch for any errors when you submit your registration. If you continue to have difficulty registering, please contact your local Child Care Licensing office.
- After you have successfully registered and activated your account, you will need to log in to your account. Once you are logged in, you will be able to complete and submit an online application (eApplication) from within your account.
- When your eApplication has been successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation number. You will also receive instructions for submitting your fee payment and other supplemental documents. You can begin gathering supplemental information, but do not submit fee payments until Licensing contacts you with your operation number, which you will need to include with your fee payment.
- Within a few business days you should receive a call from a Child Care Licensing representative in your area to discuss the status of your application, provide you with an operation number (this will later become your permit number if you are granted a permit), and to help answer any outstanding questions that you may have.
- You can also periodically check the status of your application by logging into your account.
What if I don't want to apply online?
If you prefer to attend a live pre-application course instead of viewing the online presentation, you will first need to submit your application form and fees. Once you have done so, you may contact your local Child Care Licensing office to obtain dates for pre-application classes scheduled in your area.
APPLICATION & FEES:
If you prefer to complete a paper application, please complete the application form below and send it to your local Child Care Licensing office. If you submit a paper application, you may skip Step II above.
You will also need to Complete the Child Care Fee Schedule and send both the form and the fee payment ($35 for Licensed & Registered Homes, $20 for Listed Homes) to the address specified on the form. After Licensing has received both your application form and fee payment, you will be eligible to register for a local pre-application class in your area.
- Licensed Child Care Home Application:
- Registered Child Care Home Application:
- Listed Family Home Application: