Top 10 Questions for your child care
- May I see your state permit and your last inspection?
- What experience and training do you have in caring for children?
- How many children do you care for and how do you ensure that you meet all their needs?
- May I see your operational policies so I can learn more about your services?
- What's a typical day like for a child in your care?
- How do you protect the health and safety of children in your care?
- Do you know about and always use safe sleep practices with infants?
- How do you discipline children?
- How do you handle emergencies and under what circumstances will you contact me?
- How will you discuss progress and concerns related to my child?
- Learn the facts before entrusting your child to someone else and always choose state regulated child care.
- Research your options. Find a licensed or registered child care in your area and check its inspection record at TXChildCareSearch.org.
- Visit the child care center or home while children are there and look for features that will help your child thrive. Ask to view where your child will sleep or rest.
- Meet and interview the caregiver or director.
- Keep talking with your child's caregiver. Talk about concerns and make sure you are happy with their answers.
- Keep talking to your kids. Ask them how the day went, what they did, who they saw, or if anything special happened.
- Report anything that may affect any child’s health or safety, including child abuse or neglect or illegal care to the Texas Abuse Hotline at 1-800-252-5400.