Medical Consent Training for Caregivers
Estimated time to complete:
Is this training for me?
This training is for any person authorized to make medical decisions for children in the legal custody of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS). This includes foster parents, case managers for child placing agencies, professional staff of emergency shelters, cottage parents, relative and kinship caregivers, and certain DFPS staff and youth medical consenters.
What will I learn?
This training will provide information on:
- The role and responsibilities of an effective medical consenter.
- Strengthening the informed consent process for all types of health care.
- The importance of the medical consenter considering the use of non-pharmacological interventions (options that don't involve medicines) before or along with psychotropic medications.
When do I need to take this training?
This training must be completed before DFPS can designate you as a medical consenter for a child.
- Foster parents must complete this training initially as a part of pre-service requirements and they will receive two and a half hours of credit for completing this training.
- Medical consenters must complete this initially and annually thereafter.
What do I do after I complete the training?
Medical Consenters must:
- Print out the Form 2759, Acknowledgement and Certificate of Completion of Medical Consent Training at the end of the training as proof of completion of the training and acknowledgement of required elements related to informed consent and psychotropic medications.
- Sign and date the Form 2759 and keep copies to present to CPS staff each time you are designated as a medical consenter for a child.
What if I do not have access to a computer or printer?
If you do not have access to a computer or printer, please contact:
- CPS staff, if you are a CPS foster parent or kinship caregiver or youth medical consenter or
- Your agency, if you are affiliated with a private residential child care provider, such as a private child placing agency or emergency shelter.
The staff will review a PowerPoint presentation with you and once they ensure you have completed the training, will issue Form 2759 which must also be signed by you and dated.
Click on one of these links to take the training:
- Training in HTML format - Medical Consent Training for Caregivers
- Training in Powerpoint format - Medical Consent Training for Caregivers
- Training in Word format - Medical Consent Training for Caregivers
Medical Consent Forms:
|2085-B||Designation of Medical Consenter Who is a Non-DFPS Employee (PDF Document)|
|2094||Summary of Child's Medical Care (PDF Document)||2759||Acknowledgement and Certificate of Completion of Medical Consent Training|