Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA)

Office of Consumer Affairs is here to help you. You can trust us to fairly review your complaints.  We handle complaints about specific cases related to DFPS program policy. These programs include:

  • Adult Protective Services
  • Child Protective Services
  • Child Care Licensing and Residential Child Care Licensing
  • Abuse Hotline

If you are 18 years old or younger and in CPS foster care, you have the right to contact the Foster Care Ombudsman at the Health and Human Services Commission to talk about your placement, your rights, and DFPS services. [download flyer]

If you are a youth in CPS extended care, contact the DFPS OCA for assistance.

Office of Consumer Affairs can also address questions regarding the case process and address questions regarding cases in a general manner.

Reporting Abuse

Office of Consumer Affairs does not take reports regarding the abuse / neglect / exploitation of children, elderly and adults with disabilities, or standards violations for Child Care Centers.

If you would like to make a report, please contact the Texas Abuse Hotline.

How Do You Contact Us?

You can contact us by phone, fax, email, or online form.

  • Phone: Call 1-800-720-7777, Monday-Friday during regular business hours.
  • Online Form: Send your questions or complaints by filling in the required information on the Inquiry & Complaint Form:
  • Fax:512-339-5892
  • E-Mail: Office of Consumer Affairs

What We Need From You

We need certain information to review your complaint, such as:

  • The name of the child or adult victim.
  • The city and county where these people live.
  • The names of others involved in the case and their relationship to the victim
  • The names of DFPS employees involved in the case.
  • Your contact information.
  • Specific details of your complaint/concerns.

We understand you may not have all of this information – but the more you give us, the better we can serve you.

Process for Handling Questions (Inquiries) and Complaints

  • We always let you know that we received your complaint.
  • We review your complaint and tell you what we find – within the limits of confidentiality laws; and we can recommend ways to correct issues when warranted.
  • We conduct formal reviews of a CPS investigation when the investigation concludes a person abused or neglected a child.  This is handled through the OCA Review process.

We cannot:

  • Change findings of a case other than CPS investigation findings through the OCA Review process.
  • Review the actions or orders of the courts or law enforcement agencies.
  • Take reports of abuse and neglect (see Report Abuse).