At DFPS, the Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA) handles most complaints about specific cases. We are here to help you, and you can trust us to fairly review your complaints. We also handle complaints related to DFPS program policy. These programs include:

  • Adult Protective Services
  • Child Protective Services
  • Child Care Licensing and Residential Child Care Licensing
  • Texas Abuse Hotline

Office of Consumer Affairs can also address inquiries and questions regarding the case process or cases in general.

What Don't We Do?

How Do You Contact Us?

You can contact us by phone, fax, email, or online form.

  • Phone: Call 1-800-720-7777, Monday-Friday during regular business hours.
  • Online Form: Send your questions or complaints by filling in the required information on the Inquiry & Complaint Form:
  • Fax: 512-339-5892
  • E-Mail: Office of Consumer Affairs

What We Need From You

We need certain information to review your complaint, such as:

  • The name of the child or adult victim.
  • The city and county where these people live.
  • The names of others involved in the case and their relationship to the victim
  • The names of DFPS employees involved in the case.
  • Your contact information.
  • Specific details of your complaint/concerns.

We understand you may not have all of this information - but the more you give us, the better we can serve you.

Process for Handling Questions and Complaints

  • We always let you know that we received your complaint.
  • We review your complaint and tell you what we find – within the limits of confidentiality laws; and we can recommend ways to correct issues when warranted.
  • We conduct formal reviews of a CPS investigation when the investigation concludes a person abused or neglected a child.  This is handled through the OCA Review process.

We cannot:

  • Change findings of a case other than CPS investigation findings through the OCA Review process.
  • Review the actions or orders of the courts or law enforcement agencies.
  • Take reports of abuse and neglect (see Report Abuse).