June is Elder Abuse Awareness Month! It's a good reminder for all Texans to look out for and help older adults in our communities.This month we encourage you to promote elder abuse awareness within your networks and communities online. To help you reach as many individuals as possible, we’ve put together a toolkit that includes informative messages and resources that everyone can use to help keep older adults safe and supported.
This toolkit includes:
- Sample social media posts
- Links to relevant resources and information
- Recommended hashtags to include in your content
- Sample graphics
These resources can be used as they are, or they can be customized as needed to better serve your target community.
How can you use social media to promote Elder Abuse Awareness month?
Share and create posts on your preferred social media sites that help promote the month.
Posts could be about:
- Coverage of events for the month
- Helpful information & resources
- Sample posts from this toolkit
- General content promoting awareness about elder abuse
Sample Social Media Posts
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) June 15
- June is #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth! Help raise awareness and show your support for protecting older Texans from abuse by wearing purple on June 15th for #WorldElderAbuseAwarenessDay. Visit this site to learn more: https://bit.ly/3KIHd6B
- June 15th is #WorldElderAbuseAwarenessDay! Everyone can help older adults feel supported and safe. Learn how you can help older Texans in your community here: https://bit.ly/3KIHd6B
- Today is #WorldElderAbuseAwarenessDay! Help raise awareness about the importance of protecting older adults from abuse, neglect, and exploitation! How do you protect older Texans in your community? Learn about volunteering here: https://bit.ly/3bHp2zw
Elder Abuse Awareness Month
- Acts of service are a great way to help older adults stay safe! Offer to help a neighbor or volunteer in your community. #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Learn about volunteering to help older Texans here: https://bit.ly/3bHp2zw
- DYK: Texas has more than 2.5 million residents age 65 or older? This #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth is a good reminder that protecting older adults from neglect, exploitation, and abuse is everyone’s business. Learn the signs and how to report abuse here: https://bit.ly/3yp5fku
- Help the older adults in your life avoid scams & fraud that could affect their privacy and finances. #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Take the time to teach them how to stay safe from exploitation with these resources: https://bit.ly/34gWU2d
- A great way to keep older adults from feeling isolated is to check in on them regularly! Call an older adult in your life to say hello and see how they are doing. #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Visit Everyone’s Business here: https://bit.ly/3yp5fku
- Check in on the older adults in your life to help keep them from feeling isolated! #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Visit your older neighbors. Give older family members a call. Volunteer to help older Texans in your community: https://bit.ly/3bHp2zw
- Everyone can help protect older Texans by connecting them to helpful resources and services! #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Visit Everyone’s Business for a list of helpful resources here: https://bit.ly/3FibGrj
- Communities and neighbors can prevent elder abuse through small acts of kindness and service for older Texans! #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Learn how you can help here: https://bit.ly/3yicHhB
- Understanding the challenges vulnerable adults face is essential to preventing abuse, self-neglect, and exploitation. #ElderAbuseAwarenessMonth Learn more about these issues here: https://bit.ly/38SASZ9
Links to Relevant Resources
DFPS & State Resources
- DFPS Abuse Hotline
- Everyone’s Business
- DFPS Volunteer Hub
- 2-1-1 Texas
- Attorney General of Texas
- Texas Council on Family Violence
- Meals on Wheels
- USC Center for Elder Justice (WEAAD)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Frame Works
- The National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life (NCALL)
- National Association of area Agencies on Aging
- National Adult Protective Services Association
Hashtags can increase the strength of your posts on social media. Consider using one or more of these if appropriate for your Elder Abuse Awareness Month content in June.
To download, right click on an image to save it.
June 15th World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Elder Abuse Awareness Month
Twitter Sizes (2x1)