When you work for DFPS, your annual base salary is just the start of your total compensation package. Here's a breakdown on the total compensation for the average state employee:
|40,398||Base pay (average state employee)|
|6,479||Paid time off (holidays, sick leave, vacation leave)|
|3,428||Pay for legally required benefits (Social Security, Medicare taxes, workers’ compensation)|
|1,004||Supplemental pay (Benefit replacement pay, longevity pay)|
(Source: A Report on State Employee Benefits as a Percentage of Total Compensation, April 2014).
Your State Benefits Package
Your overall benefits package includes high-quality health coverage, a secure retirement program, and optional programs that can help you protect your income and make the most of it. The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) manages these benefits:
- Health Benefits – The Texas Employees Group Benefits Program offers several types of coverage to state employees and their eligible family members.
- Retirement Contributions
- State of Texas Retirement: You, DFPS and the State all contribute to a retirement fund throughout your career. When you’re eligible and ready to retire, you’ll receive a monthly payment for the rest of your life.
- Texa$aver 401(k) / 457 Program: This voluntary savings program can help you save even more for a secure retirement. Invest in your future now and use the funds after you retire to add to your State of Texas retirement and Social Security income.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program - DFPS is a qualifying organization for this program which forgives the remaining balance on college student Direct Loans after making 120 qualifying monthly payments.
- Optional Add-on Benefits - Optional benefits allow members to select additional health and related benefits at an added cost. These include:
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- TexFlex Health Savings Account
- ERS Discount Program
Sign up for regular updates about state employee benefits and other information through the ERS email subscription service.