When you work for DFPS, your annual base salary is just the start of your total compensation package. Here's a breakdown on the total compensation for the average state employee:
|40,398||Base pay (average state employee)|
|6,479||Paid time off (holidays, sick leave, vacation leave)|
|3,428||Pay for legally required benefits (Social Security, Medicare taxes, workers’ compensation)|
|1,004||Supplemental pay (Benefit replacement pay, longevity pay)|
(Source: A Report on State Employee Benefits as a Percentage of Total Compensation, April 2014).
Your State Benefits Package
Your overall benefits package includes high-quality health coverage, a secure retirement program, and optional programs that can help you protect your income and make the most of it. The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) manages these benefits:
- Health, life and related insurance – The Texas Employees Group Benefits Program offers the following coverage for state employees and their eligible family members:
- Health insurance.
- Dental coverage.
- Life insurance.
- Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- TexFlex – This flexible spending account program allows you to save on taxes by contributing to a health care or dependent care reimbursement account (or both) with money taken directly from your paycheck.
- State of Texas retirement – You, DFPS and the State all contribute to a retirement fund throughout your career. When you’re eligible and ready to retire, you’ll receive a monthly payment for the rest of your life.
- Texa$aver 401(k) / 457 Program – This voluntary savings program can help you save even more for a secure retirement. Invest in your future now and use the funds after you retire to add to your State of Texas retirement and Social Security income.
Visit the ERS website for detail information:
- Benefits Overview
- Health Insurance
- Dental Coverage
- Optional Life, AD&D and Disability Insurance
- TexFlex Health Care
- TexFlex Dependent Care
- State of Texas Retirement
- Texa$aver 401(k) / 457 Program
- Discount Purchase Program
Sign up for regular updates about state employee benefits and other information through ERS’ email subscription service.