Texas state law requires agencies like DFPS to give veterans, surviving spouses of veterans, and orphans of veterans preference in the job selection process when candidates are otherwise similarly qualified.
DFPS encourages our managers to interview veterans for any job opening, and we consider many skills learned through military service to be highly applicable to the work we do protecting the unprotected citizens of Texas.
If you have questions about veterans working at DFPS, contact our veteran’s liaison, Brent Portwood, US Army (retired).
- Email brent.portwood @ dfps.state.tx.us
- Office (512) 438-3308
- Mobile (512) 960-9244
Veteran Hiring Resources
- U.S. Department of Labor Hiring Veterans Toolkit
- Texas Workforce Commission Military Jobs Translator
- Texas Workforce Commission Tools for Transitioning Service Members
- Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms