Always Give Babies Room to Breathe!
Hundreds of Texas babies die in their sleep each year - suddenly, unexpectedly, and without a clear explanation or due to accidental suffocation or strangulation. That's why it is so important to always give babies "Room to Breathe."
The ABC's of Infant sleep:
- A - Sleep Alone:
- Put babies to sleep alone with no other adult or child sharing the sleep surface
- B - On their Backs with no blankets or bedding
- Babies should sleep on their backs in a crib or on another firm surface. The surface should be clear of all objects except for a mattress, tight-fitting bottom sheet, and the baby. If the baby leaves an impression on the mattress, the surface is too soft.
- C - In a Crib and cool (70 degrees)
- Dress your baby lightly and keep the room cool.
- S - In a Smoke free environment
- Keep babies away from second hand smoke. It's bad for everyone and especially babies. Never smoke in a house with a baby and ask anyone who cares for your baby not to smoke around them.
Things to Avoid
- Don't put anything in the crib!
- Adding bumper pads, blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals to your baby's sleep surface can greatly increase the risk of suffocation or strangulation.
- Additional mattresses or cushions in a crib or play yard (i.e. Pack 'n Play) are risky too. Some surfaces may feel hard or thin, but they are made to keep your baby safe while they sleep. Your baby will be comfortable.
- Keep blankets or covers away from baby's face.
- Don't let a baby sleep or nap with adults or other children.
- Don't ever sleep with a baby if you have been drinking or are taking medications or illegal drugs.
- If you get sleepy, put the baby down in a crib or another firm surface before you take a nap. This is especially important if you are sitting on a chair, sofa or other comfortable surface where you might roll over on your baby and suffocate him or her.
- Don't leave your baby sleeping in a car seat or bouncers or similar device. Small babies can't hold their heads up and may suffocate if they fall asleep in a sitting position.