Texas Family Code (TFC) 58.0051 and 58.0052 allow the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) to release records to Juvenile Justice Entities, including Juvenile Justice Agencies and Juvenile Service Providers, confidential information that is “necessary to improve and maintain community safety, or that assists the agency in the continuation of services for or providing services to a multi-system youth.”
- Juvenile Justice Agencies include the Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD) and County Juvenile Probation Departments (JPDs).
- Juvenile Service Providers (JSPs) include Health and Human Services agencies, Department of Public Safety, Texas Education Agency, independent school districts, juvenile justice alternative education programs, charter schools, local Mental Health/Mental Retardation authorities, courts with jurisdiction over juveniles, district attorneys, county attorneys, and children’s advocacy centers.
State law HB1521, TFC §58.0051, and TAC §700.203 allow DFPS to give information on open and closed cases to TJJD and JPD within 14 days of the request being received, when a youth is:
- The perpetrator or victim in a confirmed Reason to Believe (RTB) investigation.
- Placed in substitute care with DFPS.
- Receiving family services through DFPS Family Based Safety Services.
When a request for a juvenile record meets the criteria and the case is open, the primary caseworker is authorized to share the information.
When a request for a juvenile meets the criteria and the case is closed, we give information regarding:
- Child and family services
- Placement events
Juvenile Justice Entities
The following outlines which groups comprise Juvenile Justice Entities and what DFPS provides to each group upon receipt of Form 4885-J, Request for Case Record Information from Juvenile Service Providers (including Juvenile Justice Agencies)
Juvenile Service Providers
|Provider/Agency||Group comprised of|
|Juvenile Service Providers||
|Juvenile Justice Agencies||Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD)
County Juvenile Probation Departments (JPDs)
Requesting a Record
Employees of a Juvenile Justice Entity seeking a confidential case records for the purpose listed above may request a copy by completing and submitting Form 4885-J, Request for Case Record Information from Juvenile Service Providers (including Juvenile Justice Agencies).
You can either submit it electronically as an attachment to your email (must be a government domain; please encrypt any confidential data) or you can print it out and mail it to:
Department of Family and Protective Services
Attn: RMG (Y-937)
P.O. Box 149030
Austin, Texas 78714-19030
Phone during business hours: (512) 929-6764 or toll free at (877) 764‐7230
To see other records request categories, click here.