How to Request Copies of Case Records
Thank you for your interest in getting a copy of a DFPS case record.
Adult Protective Services (APS), Child Care Licensing (CCL) and Child Protective Services (CPS) case records are confidential by law. DFPS complies with all laws and rules on the release of confidential case records. This includes who is and is not entitled to certain information and whether some information must be redacted (removed) from the record before it is released.
If the case record you are seeking exists and you are entitled to it, then we will review and redact it to ensure its release complies with applicable laws and rules. The review process usually includes removing specific personal and identifying information. However, members of law enforcement agencies and certain other entities can get case records without review and redaction.
DFPS strives to provide excellent customer support. Due to the large volume of requests received, it may take some time to complete your request.
Requesting Confidential Case Records
Start by selecting the category below that applies to you:
- I want a case record in which I was personally involved
- I represent someone who was personally involved in the case.
- I need a case record in relation to my professional duties as a law enforcement officer, a county attorney, or a district attorney.
- I need a case record in relation to my professional duties at the Disability Rights Texas (formerly Advocacy, Inc.)
- I need a case record in relation to my professional duties with the Juvenile Justice.
- I need a case record in relation to my professional duties as a Domestic Relations Office member or a court-ordered social study evaluator.
- I need a copy of a completed investigation report for a closed school investigation
DFPS case records are confidential by law and can only be released to specific people based on their role in a case. Generally, you have to have been directly involved in the case and the case must be closed to get a copy of a DFPS case record
- Adult Protective Services Cases - APS records are confidential under the Texas Human Resources Code, Section 48.101 and 40 Texas Administrative Code(TAC) Sections 705.7101 - 705.7123.
- Child Care Licensing Cases: CCL records are confidential under 40 Texas Administrative Code, Sections 745.8481 - 745.8493.
- Child Protective Services Cases: CPS records are confidential under Section 261.201(a) of the Texas Family Code and 40 Texas Administrative Code, Sections 700.201 - 700.207.