The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) works with communities to promote safe and healthy families and protect children and vulnerable adults from abuse, neglect, and exploitation. We do this through investigations, services and referrals, and prevention programs.
DFPS has five major programs that do this important work:
- Adult Protective Services
- Protects the elderly and people with disabilities from abuse, neglect, and exploitation through investigations and services.
- Child Protective Services
- Protects children from abuse and neglect through services, foster care, and adoption.
- Child Protective Investigations
- Investigates reports of child abuse or neglect to determine if any child in the family has been abused or neglected. If the children aren't safe, the investigator starts protective services.
- Prevention and Early
- Manages community-based programs that prevent juvenile delinquency and child abuse and neglect.
- Statewide Intake
- Takes reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation from across the state through its Texas Abuse Hotline (1-800-252-5400) and through the website TxAbuseHotline.org 24-hours a day, every day of the year.
Call the Texas Abuse Hotline if you suspect that a child or adult who is elderly or has disabilities is being abused, neglected, or exploited.