skip to content [x]  larger font [+]  smaller font [-]  normal font [o] 

Share this page with social media websites

Use the following links to share this page through common social media websites. Use screen reader reading keys, as the Tab key may not work for all links. To share this page with a social media service not listed here, select the "Share" link to open a frame that lists additional options. In the input field,

Placement of DFPS Children Outside of the United States

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) policy on placing children for adoption outside the country is in Section 6846 of the Child Protective Services Handbook.

6846 Making Out of Country Placements
CPS 2000-2

A child should not be placed in an adoptive placement outside of the United States unless there is a prior relationship between the child and family. Making placements out of the country has implications for a child’s eligibility for state and federal support services.

When considering a family who is either living out of the country or who will be moving out of the country during the supervision period, the worker or supervisor must determine the extend of the prior relationship with the prospective adoptive family. If staff determine that the child has a significant relationship with the prospective adoptive family and it is in the best interest of the child to continue that relationship with the adoptive family, then the following actions must occur:

  1. Inform the prospective adoptive parents of the limitations for medical assistance and other support services to the child and determine how the child’s medical needs will be met when the child moves.
  2. Require the family to arrange for supervision of the adoption (such as with a military social worker if the family lives on a base).
  3. Obtain information regarding the country where the family will be living and services available to the child and family to meet the child’s short and long term needs.
  4. Request written approval from the deputy director for Protective Services for Families and Children. If this approval is obtained, proceed to the next steps.
  5. Obtain written approval from the court with jurisdiction over the child.
  6. Inform Interstate Compact staff of the child’s move out of the country.
DFPS home | website policies | Texas online | statewide search | contact us | download help | top of page