Housing Assistance Between Academic Terms

Texas' institutes of higher education are required to assist full-time students formerly in DFPS conservatorship or who have been legally emancipated in locating temporary housing between academic terms (winter and summer holiday breaks). 

In order for the young adult to receive assistance with temporary housing from a higher education institution where the young adult is enrolled, they must:

  • Be a full-time student in the semester preceding the housing need;
  • Be registered or have started the required enrollment actions as a full-time student for the immediate next semester period following the housing accommodation;
  • Lack other reasonable temporary housing alternatives; and
  • Request the housing assistance.  

How Higher Education Institutions Can Help With Summer and Winter Breaks

  • Assist students with making housing arrangements by providing a list of available housing resources within the community or by referring students to other resources or community partners that offer housing assistance;  or
  • If the student demonstrates a financial need the institution may open up student housing such as dormitories, university-owned apartments or other campus housing or provide a stipend to cover reasonable costs for temporary housing.  Since the bill does not require institutions to provide these options the receipt of these benefits will vary depending on the specific institution's practice. 

Note: If a student receives a stipend for housing assistance this does not prohibit the student from receiving additional stipends in one or more subsequent academic periods.  Also the receipt of a stipend for housing assistance will not affect a student's ability to apply for or receive funds from the Education and Training Voucher (ETV) program for the cost of attendance for the future semester or to receive other similar academic assistance.

Students must request the housing assistance and are encouraged to inquire:

  • financial aid offices,
  • student affairs offices,
  • admissions offices,
  • housing/residence life/residential living offices, or
  • A student Ombudsperson

Young adults are also encouraged to research each college or university website to locate the appropriate campus office for housing.

Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine for Students Entering Post-Secondary Education

Effective January 1, 2012, students under age 30 entering a Texas institution of higher education must be vaccinated for bacterial meningitis.  For DFPS foster youth, payments for doctor's visits and vaccination costs are covered by:

  • Texas Medicaid (STAR Health or Traditional);
  • Medicaid for Transitioning Foster Care Youth (MTFCY); or
  • The Former Foster Care Youth in Higher Education (FFCHE) program. 

Young adults are encouraged to check college admissions policies for more information about the vaccination.

Young adults enrolled in the Education and Training Voucher (ETV) program and are not eligible for the above medical coverages may use a portion of their ETV living expense stipend if allowed by the university's cost of attendance policy for health insurance, doctor co-payments, prescriptions or other health expenses.  

Note: ETV funds cannot be used to directly pay for a doctor visit (i.e., students without health insurance).