When you work for DFPS, your annual base salary is just the start of your total compensation package. Here's a breakdown on the total compensation for the average state employee:
|Base pay (average state employee)||$50,590|
|Paid time off (holidays, sick leave, vacation leave)||$8,235|
|Pay for legally required benefits (Social Security, Medicare taxes, workers’ compensation)||$4,363|
|Supplemental pay (benefit replacement pay, longevity pay)||$906|
Source: A Report on State Employee Benefits as a Percentage of Total Compensation, June 2022
Your State Benefits Package
Your overall benefits package includes high-quality health coverage, a secure retirement program, and optional programs that can help you protect your income and make the most of it. The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) manages these benefits:
- Health Benefits
The Texas Employees Group Benefits Program offers several types of coverage to state employees and their eligible family members.
- Retirement Contributions
- State of Texas Retirement: You, DFPS and the State all contribute to a retirement fund throughout your career. When you’re eligible and ready to retire, you’ll receive a monthly payment for the rest of your life.
- Texa$aver 401(k) / 457 Program: This voluntary savings program can help you save even more for a secure retirement. Invest in your future now and use the funds after you retire to add to your State of Texas retirement and Social Security income.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
DFPS is a qualifying organization for this program which forgives the remaining balance on college student Direct Loans after making 120 qualifying monthly payments.
- Optional Add-on Benefits
Optional benefits allow members to select additional health and related benefits at an added cost. These include:
- Dental coverage
- Vision insurance
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- TexFlex health savings account
- ERS discount program
Sign up for regular updates about state employee benefits and other information through the ERS email subscription service.
Wellness at DFPS
DFPS promotes a workplace culture that encourages and supports sustainable healthy lifestyle choices and work-life balance. The Wellness Program at DFPS is supported by Wellness Government Code 644 and DFPS' HR Policy. It includes a wellness council, regional wellness coordinators, and committee members. DFPS wellness resources consist of agency resources and wellness vendor resources.
DFPS Agency Wellness Resources
- Flex time for physical activity
Employees can flex their time for 90 minutes a week in three 30-minute increments to exercise.
- Walk day
Employees can walk for 30 minutes during the last Friday of each month.
- Leave for health assessment and physical exam
Employees can earn 8 hours of leave for completing their health assessment and annual exam.
- Leave for participating in the Fall Into Fitness Challenge
Employees can earn 4 hours of leave for meeting the requirements of the Fall Into Fitness Challenge.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Wellness Resources
DFPS offers therapeutic intervention, work/life services, and other wellness resources through our EAP. These include:
- A 24/7 assistance hotline.
- Six free counseling sessions per issue. (HR Policy supports that you don’t have to take leave when attending these counseling sessions.)
- Aware, a research-based mindfulness stress reduction program. This program is an alternative to traditional counseling that is designed to support individuals to counteract stress.
- Expansion of telehealth services to include structured telephonic and video counseling.
- A six session telephonic life coaching program.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress Support Sessions (STSS) to assist staff in coping with ongoing stress due to work and life-related high stress.
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD) in response to specific traumatic incidents.
- Work/life balance resources such as locating daycare, vacation planning, and locating a pet sitter.
- The Take the High Road Program. This program provides reimbursement of a taxi cab or other transportation up to $45 a year.
- Financial consultation, legal consultation, and a free online simple will.
- Training and webinars.
The Employee Assistance Program is confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. The services are available for DFPS employees, their household members, and their dependents even if they do not live within the same household. Services are available nationwide.
Employee Retirement System (ERS) Wellness Resources
ERS supports our Wellness Program by highlighting national monthly health observances and providing wellness webinars, virtual wellness fairs, and newsletters to support our employees. In addition, employees can take advantage of discounts on wellness items through the ERS Beneplace Program. ERS also manages our health insurance. More information is located at ERS Wellness Events and ERS Beneplace Discount Purchase Program.
BlueCross BlueShield Health Select of Texas Wellness Resources
- Weight loss programs
- Mental health services
- Fitness program
- Virtual visits (medical & mental health)
- Well on Target/Blue Access for Members (BAM)
- Blue Points Incentive Program
- Blue 365 Discount Program
- Airrosti (chiropractors that focus on deep tissue)
- Self-management programs on a wide variety of health topics
More information is available at HealthSelect Wellness Benefits on the ERS website.
If you have any questions about the DFPS Wellness Program, please send an email to WellnessCoordinator@dfps.texas.gov.