An APS caseworker will investigate the report. When needed, the caseworker will work with the adult and caregiver to develop a protective service care plan, which may include counseling, legal services, home health care, transportation, housing, and or safety plans.

If someone is living alone and not willing to, or able to, care for themselves a caseworker will meet with him or her. The caseworker can help them develop a plan to be able to care for themselves and get support services.

A person must consent to protective services. If he or she is not competent to give consent, the caseworker may petition the courts for a temporary guardianship.

Protective services are free of charge.