What is Child Care Licensing?
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DPFS) charges Child Care Licensing (CCL) with ensuring the health, safety, and well-being of children who are in child care homes by:
- issuing permits to child care providers before they begin caring for children;
- conducting routine inspections to ensure compliance with the rules and laws;
- investigating allegations of abuse, neglect, and non-compliance with the rules and laws; and
- initiating administrative procedures for permit holders who do not follow rules and laws.
Definitions of terms on this page:
- Permit - Written authorization from CCL to operate a child care facility
- Compliance - Meeting or exceeding CCL requirements