Definitions of Terms Used in This Training
- Medical consenter is a person who a court or DFPS names to make medical decisions for a child in DFPS conservatorship.
- Youth medical consenter is a youth (age 16 or 17) who the court allows to make his or her own medical decisions.
- DFPS conservatorship means DFPS has legal custody of a child or youth.
- STAR Health is the health plan for most children and youth in DFPS conservatorship. Medical consenters must use STAR Health medical providers to get care for children in DFPS custody.
- Informed consent means that you received complete information about the proposed medical care (including risks of the treatment or side effects) before you make a decision.