Section 5 - Trauma Informed Care
How can I (caregiver) help?
- When a child is angry or out of control, help them calm down. Try to listen and support their emotions, take a walk or do a quiet activity together.
- Adult closeness may help the child to calm down. If they are upset and not thinking clearly, then nothing will change until they are calm again.
- The best way to change behavior is by staying calm and:
- making strong relationships
- talking and listening with each other
- helping the child or youth to feel better about themselves
- modeling and teaching ways to work with their emotions