Section 6 - Psychotropic Medications

Consenting to Psychotropic Medications

  • You (medical consenter) must give Informed Consent for each new medication and for changes in the dose. A signed Psychotropic Medication Treatment Consent form (DFPS Form 4526) is required for each new psychotropic medication.
    • You must give to the CPS caseworker for each new medication, a completed Form 4526 Psychotropic Medication Treatment Consent, as soon as possible or within 5 business days.
  • If you are not a CPS employee, you must also let the CPS caseworker or supervisor know about the decision to consent to the medication or dose changes, or the decision not to consent, by the next business day by e-mail or other written communication.
  • If you are not sure whether to consent to the medication, you should discuss your concerns first with the prescribing medical provider and also with others involved in the case, such as the CPS caseworker, child placing agency staff, or residential operation treatment team.