Goals & Objectives
- Understand that other interventions should be considered along with psychotropic medications.
- Understand the need for a complete psychiatric evaluation (including physical examination) before making a decision about psychotropic medications and treatments.
- Understand the responsibility of the medical consenter to decide whether or not to give informed consent for each psychotropic medication prescribed for a child.
- Understand how psychotropic medications are used.
- Understand how to monitor a child for possible side effects or to see if the psychotropic medication is working.
- Know what to do if you have concerns about the psychotropic medications prescribed to children in your care.
- Know about the Psychotropic Medication Utilization Parameters for Children in Foster Care.
- Be aware of how various classes of psychotropic medications work, their side effects, and examples of medications in each class.