Chapter 2
Page 5

Seek Medical Help

Doctor with pad

If a child has serious symptoms or is not getting better with non-pharmacological interventions, the caregiver or medical consenter should talk to a doctor.

Anytime a child is a danger to himself/herself or others, the caregiver or medical consenter should immediately contact the doctor.  Examples include suicidal or violent thoughts or actions.

A primary care provider may be able to diagnose and treat some behavioral health disorders including prescribing psychotropic medications.

For more complex problems, or if you would like a further assessment of the child you may request an appointment with a psychiatrist. The child and adolescent psychiatrist will do a complete psychiatric evaluation and make a recommendation about treatment. Ask the child’s primary care provider if you are not sure if the child needs to see a psychiatrist.