Other ADHD Treatments
Sometimes medications that are not stimulants are used to treat ADHD. These medications come from different classes. You will need to read the pharmacy insert to learn about side effects and adverse reactions to these medications. A child in your care may be prescribed one of these medications.
- Clonidine (Catapres, Kapvay)--used to treat high blood pressure in adults but causes sedation in children in small doses
- Guanfacine (Tenex, Intuniv)--used to treat high blood pressure in adults but causes sedation in children in small doses
- Atomoxetine (Strattera)--newer antidepressant, in rare cases causes suicidal thought risk
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL)--newer antidepressant
- Imipramine (Tofranil)--older antidepressant, usually used to treat bed wetting, but may be used to treat ADHD