Children and PTSD
Children who have experienced multiple traumatic events are often diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Key symptoms of PTSD include:
- The child re-experiences the trauma (typically through flashbacks and nightmares)
- The child will avoid stimuli associated with the trauma
- The child may disengage from their emotions (may lose interest in things they used to like to do)
- The child may have physical symptoms for no medical reason (stomach aches, headaches, etc)
- The child may be more hypervigilant (startle easily)