At DFPS, the Office of Consumer Relations (OCR) handles complaints about specific cases relating to DFPS program policy. We are here to help you, and you can trust us to fairly review your complaints. The DFPS programs include:
- Adult Protective Services In Home Services
- Child Protective Services
- Child Care Licensing and Residential Child Care Licensing (regarding investigations of Abuse/Neglect)
- Texas Abuse Hotline
The OCR takes complaints from all individuals including foster youth ages 18 years old and older, and former foster youth.
The OCR can address general/non-specific inquiries and questions regarding a DFPS case and the case process.
The OCR conducts formal reviews of a CPS investigation when the investigation concludes a person abused or neglected a child. This is handled through the OCR Review process.
Additionally, we can refer individuals to other agencies and programs that may be able to assist them.
What Don't We Do?
- Assist foster youth ages 17 years old or younger - contact the Foster Care Ombudsman.
- Take reports of abuse, neglect, or exploitation; to include reports regarding abuse, neglect or a violation of standards within a child care facility - contact the Texas Abuse Hotline.
- Handle complaints or inquiries regarding Adult Protective Services - Provider Services or Child Care Licensing and Residential Child Care Licensing inspections or investigations regarding minimum standards – contact the Health and Human Services Commission Office of the Ombudsman .
- Change the findings of a case other than CPS investigation findings through the OCR Review process.
- Review the actions or orders of the courts or law enforcement agencies.
You can contact the OCR by telephone, fax, email, online form, or by standard mail.
- Phone: Call 1-800-720-7777, Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- Online Form: Send your questions or complaints by filling in the required information on the Inquiry & Complaint Form:
- Fax: 512-339-5892
- E-Mail: Office of Consumer Relations
- Standard mail: OCR/DFPS, PO BOX 149030, MC: Y946, Austin TX 78714-9030
What We Need From You
We need certain information to review your complaint, such as:
- The name of the child or adult victim.
- The city and county where these people live.
- The names of others involved in the case and their relationship to the victim
- The names of DFPS employees involved in the case.
- Your contact information.
- Specific details of your complaint/concerns.
We understand you may not have all of this information - but the more you give us, the better we can serve you.
When We Receive Your Complaint
- We always acknowledge that we received your complaint.
- If appropriate for our office to review, we will review your complaint and tell you what we find – within the limits of confidentiality laws; and we can recommend ways to correct issues when warranted.
- If the information you provide is not an issue that the OCR can review, we will either share your information with the appropriate agency or refer you to contact an agency that may be able to assist you.
To find out more information about the OCR and our complaint process you may review our program policies.