We are all responsible for making sure Texas children are safe. While the core mission of Child Protective Services and Child Care Licensing is to protect children, we can only keep children safe through a collaborative effort with communities, service providers and, most importantly, Texas families.
There are many resources available to help keep children safe. Below, you can find various tools, tips, and resources to help in a variety of circumstances.
If you have a concern about a child that may be in danger or may be a victim for abuse or neglect, please contact the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services or law enforcement. Call 1-800-252-5400 to make confidential reports or online at: Texas Abuse Hotline
Information for Parents & Public Awareness
It's not easy being a parent. But recognizing that you can improve is the first step toward becoming a
better parent. Here you will learn where to find the help you need to begin your journey toward becoming a healthier, happier family.
Hundreds of Texas babies die in their sleep each year - suddenly, unexpectedly, and without a clear explanation or due to accidental suffocation or strangulation. Learn tips to help your baby sleep safely and why it's so important to always give your baby "Room to Breathe."
Developed by Children’s Advocacy Centers of Texas, One with Courage centers around courage—the courage it takes children to talk about their abuse, and the courage it takes adults to talk about the issue, learn the signs of abuse and report it.
Below are resources to help parents and family members keep children safe.
Babies, Toddlers, and Children
- Safe Haven or Baby Moses Law
- Safe Sleeping Tips
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Don't Shake Your Baby
- Prevention Programs in Your Area
- Women, Infant, and Children (WIC)
- Children's Medicaid (CHIP)
- Children at Home Alone
- Car Safety Tips
Prevention and Early Intervention Information
PEI is a division of Child Protective Services that focuses on stopping abuse and neglect and juvenile delinquency before it happens.
Prevention and Early Intervention Services & Programs
Child Safety Campaigns
DFPS supports several child safety campaigns that can help you keep children safe in a variety of situations.
- Don't Be In the Dark About Child Care campaign on dangers of unregulated child care
- Room to Breathe campaign on safe sleeping practices for infants.
- Watch Kids Around Water campaign on water safety for children, at home and outdoors
- Car Safety: Look Before You Lock
- Information on Shaken Baby Syndrome and Sudden Infant Death (SIDS)
- Healthy Child Care America
- Keep Children Safe Poster