More Services

Children in State Care

CPS explores every reasonable alternative to keep children safe from abuse and neglect at home. But, when children cannot live safely with their own families, CPS may ask the court to remove them from their homes and temporarily place them with relatives or foster families, or in an emergency shelter or foster care facility. CPS and the courts must consider relatives and others with close ties to the child or family as an option. CPS asks parents to name relatives and family friends who might care for their children. CPS contacts relatives and explains their options and the state support that is available. These "kinship caregivers" may also adopt or accept legal responsibility for children when they cannot return home safely. Kinship care gives children more stability and keeps them connected to family when they cannot live with their birth parents.

See more on Kinship Care see Placements in the CPS section of Data and Statistics on the DFPS website.

Foster Care

Children live in foster care when kinship care is not an option.  Foster families are reimbursed for the costs of caring for children. Together, CPS and foster parents arrange all the child's educational, medical, dental, and therapeutic services. Some children with emotional or other needs that are difficult to address in a foster home may live in specialized group homes, residential treatment centers, or other facilities. CPS provides services to the parents until the family is reunited or the courts approve another permanent living arrangement for the children. The court has ongoing oversight while a child is in foster care.

See more on foster care in Placements in the CPS section Data and Statistics on the DFPS website.