Prevention and Early Intervention
Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI) division responsibilities include:
- Working with Texas communities to develop services to prevent child abuse and neglect, juvenile delinquency, runaway youth, and truancy.
- Planning, developing, and administering a comprehensive, unified approach to delivering prevention services.
- Making prevention and early intervention services more accountable by demonstrating effectiveness or public benefits.
- Using the services of Office of Child Safety to conduct in-depth case reviews to help support prevention and intervention programs as well as provide policy and best practices recommendations across DFPS.
What is Prevention and Early Intervention?
PEI is a division of DFPS that focuses on stopping abuse and neglect and juvenile delinquency before it happens.
PEI does this by:
- Managing community-based programs that prevent child abuse and juvenile delinquency.
- Helping communities identify their prevention needs and enhance local services.
- Helping communities create new programs and improve existing ones that improve outcomes for children, youth, and their families.
PEI contracts for a number of prevention services statewide that are available to the public free or a low cost. Some of these services are available statewide and others are only available in some areas. Learn more about Prevention and Early programs in your community.
Office of Child Safety
Office of Child Safety's goal is to help carry out prevention and intervention programs which address and reduce fatal and serious child abuse.
The Office of Child Safety completes critical case reviews, examines data and trends, and works with other agencies to provide a safety network across Texas.
By developing program recommendations, Prevention and Early Intervention's Office of Child Safety brings together local agencies, private sector, non-profits, and government programs to reduce child abuse and neglect fatalities.
Texas Prevention Network (TPN)
PEI along with the Texas Home Visiting Program, is creating TPN that brings together experts and partners from various sectors, who will guide state efforts to strengthen families and communities. Members share information and coordinate prevention efforts to support a quality system in Texas.
More Prevention Resource
- Help for Parents, Hope for Kids campaign - HelpandHope.org provides a wide variety of prevention and other services and resources to parents
- Other Prevention Resources
- Agency Coordination for Youth Prevention and Intervention Services - October 2014