Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI)
Prevention and Early Intervention responsibilities include:
- Developing services with Texas communities to prevent child abuse and neglect, juvenile delinquency, runaway youth, and truancy.
- Developing and efficiently managing the delivery of these services.
- Improving effectiveness and promoting public benefits of prevention serivces to improve accountability.
- Conducting detailed case reviews through the Office of Child Safety and recommending best practices and policy across DFPS.
- Monitoring contract performance to make sure services are delivered. A brief explanation of the monitoring process is found here.
What is Prevention and Early Intervention?
PEI is a division of DFPS that focuses on stopping abuse and neglect and juvenile delinquency before it happens.
PEI does this by:
- Managing community-based programs that prevent child abuse and juvenile delinquency.
- Helping communities identify their prevention needs and enhance local services.
- Helping communities create new programs and improve existing ones that improve outcomes for children, youth, and their families.
PEI contracts for a number of prevention services statewide that are available to the public free. Some of these services are available statewide and others are only available in some areas. Learn more about Prevention and Early programs in your community.
Office of Child Safety
The Office of Child Safety's goal is to help carry out prevention and intervention programs which address and reduce fatal and serious child abuse.
The Office of Child Safety completes critical case reviews, examines data and trends, and works with other agencies to provide a safety network across Texas.
By developing program recommendations, Prevention and Early Intervention's Office of Child Safety brings together local agencies, private sector, non-profits, and government programs to reduce child abuse and neglect fatalities.
Texas Prevention Network (TPN)
The TPN brings together experts and partners from various sectors, who will guide state efforts to strengthen families and communities. Members share information and coordinate prevention efforts to support a quality system in Texas.
More Prevention Resource
- PEI Business Plan FY 2016
- Help for Parents, Hope for Kids campaign - HelpandHope.org provides a wide variety of prevention and other services and resources to parents
- Other Prevention Resources
- Agency Coordination for Youth Prevention and Intervention Services - October 2014